The following works will take place from 21st June for approximately two days. Smalls Hill Road, Leigh
Remember to check with the bus company for any alterations with the service during this time!
Advance warning – Surface dressing works
Where – Smalls Hill Road, Leigh
When – 21 June 2020
How long – For approx. 2 days
Impact – Road closed
What are we doing? We will be applying surface dressing to the road whilst abiding by the social distancing guidelines.
What is surface dressing?
• Surface dressing involves spreading a thin layer of glue-like material called bitumen on the road and then spreading chippings over the entire surface from kerb to kerb. Traffic on the road will embed the chippings into the bitumen to form the new surface.
• We return to sweep away loose chippings three times – usually 24 hours, 48 hours and then again seven days after the initial works.
Extent of works:
The road will be closed whilst we carry out these works. We will make sure you can get to and from your house or business but there will be times when delays are unavoidable. Talk to a member of our staff on site if you need help – talking to our staff can solve most issues.
• For a few days after the work and during prolonged spells of hot weather, the surface may still be sticky and could easily be carried into your home on shoes – make sure you take your shoes off to avoid marking your floor.
• This type of work is weather dependent and bad weather means the work will be rescheduled.
• Please keep the road free from parked vehicles. Please park elsewhere on the day we’re working otherwise it may be towed to a nearby road.
• Due to the fast-moving nature of this type of work, dates can vary from the ones advertised on this leaflet. If we’re unable to work on the date on the front of this leaflet, please make sure the road is left clear of vehicles the following working day.
• You can receive an email alert when the details of these roadworks change through the one.network website by clicking ‘Sign up here’ on
the pop out for the works. You will then receive an alert with any changes to dates, access information, delays and when works have
• You can park on the road once the surface dressing is completed and you don’t have to park elsewhere when we sweep the loose chippings.
• Road markings will not be replaced until after the final sweep has taken place. It can take a few weeks for the lines to be replaced.
My road looks fine, why is it having surface treatment when there are other roads that need it more?
Surface dressing is a preventative treatment used on roads in a good condition, to protect and prolong their life. It could extend the life of a road by over 10 years and is up to three to four times cheaper than alternative ways of maintaining a road. We hope you are pleased with the works.
For approx. 2 days
Working hours: 7am to 6pm